Sample Diet – Sample High Protein Diet
Our bodies need more protein than you may think. Since every cell in our bodies contains some protein, and in order to reshape muscles (which are made of protein) we need to consume it. Protein is a macronutrient and I consume between 100 grams and 150 grams of protein per day through my foods and protein supplements.
Increasing your protein take is actually easier than you think!
My Sample High Protein Diet
Breakfast foods high in protein:
- 5 eggs (2 whole + 3 additional whites) prepared any way (choose 2 additional items below)
- Greek Yogurt
- Protein shake
- Whole grain toast
- Bowl of Raisin Bran cereal (I sprinkle Splenda on the top and use skim milk)
- Sliced apples
- A whole grapefruit
- 4 slices of low-sodium turkey bacon
See more below…
Mid-morning snack: (I choose two)
Lunch food choices high in protein:
- Broiled fish and veggies with brown rice
- Roasted chicken breast and salad (dressing on the side), whole grain roll
- Turkey sandwich on whole grain bread, with lettuce, Miracle Whip Light and mustard, and a bowl of low-sodium chicken noodle soup
Mid-Afternoon snack: (I choose one)
- Protein Shake
- Handful f raw almonds
- Protein Bar
- Turkey sandwich on whole grain break, with lettuce and mustard
Dinner food choices high in protein:
- The same choices as listed for breakfast and lunch (I frequently have breakfast food at dinner
- Barilla high protein pasta, Newmans Own organic marinara
- 8-ounce steak, sweet potato, salad
- When I eat dessert I just eat a few bites
High protein diets do not have to be low carbohydrate diets. As you can see from my sample high protein diet I intake plenty of high-fiber healthy carbs. Foods that can be included in a high protein diet are eggs, fish, chicken, red meat, low-fat dairy products, lentils and beans. Whole grains that are high in fiber are essential for a healthy diet. I recommend staying away from soy protein completely.
Sample high protein diet – Is Atkins a good diet?
Not at all, not in my opinion. The Atkins diet is one of the best know high protein diets which was designed in 1972 by Robert Atkins the physician. This diet is touted as low carbohydrate diet that lets you eat all kinds of meats including seafoods and eggs as well as nuts and vegetables. However it limits your intake of grains, bread and rice including dairy products and some vegetables. The carbohydrates are limited to less than 20g per day while most of your calories come from sources of protein. This diet has raised several concerns as it is found to be deficient in some essential minerals and vitamins.
Sample high protein diet – Why higher protein?
High protein diets are always considered to be beneficial as they provide your body with necessary muscle building nutrients. For years bodybuilders have been eating high protein diets to maximize their muscle building potential. However, recently high protein diets have actually become popular for those interested in weight loss as well. Your body requires more energy to digest protein compared to carbohydrates and this caloric effect is part of what helps you in losing weight. It is good to eat plenty of protein every day, but you should not ignore healthy carbohydrates, fiber and fats as well in your diet.